Friday, March 21, 2008

Simple things

Today I kept things simple. I didn't have much time to work with, but then I had some good stuff at hand, so I made it up as I went. Here's my bento:

In the smaller lower tier (on the right), I have left over roasted chicken, that I sprinkled with minced red bell pepper and cucumber for a bit of color. With that I have a mix of steamed lentils and chickpeas, again with pepper and cucumber mixed in.

In the top tier (on the left), I have steamed broccoli and carrots on a bed of lettuce, sprinkled with red pepper and cucumber bits. For the fun of it, I made 2 skewers with cucumber and carrot pieces. I had planned to put them over the chicken, for decoration, but it didn't fit in my box.


My husband has about the same thing, just presented differently. On the right side, you can see the chicken on top, and lentils on the bottom (he's not a fan of canned chickpeas unless they are in a recipe). I didn't think he liked lentils like that, but he's planning on heating them up and pouring them over the steamed veggies. Good idea!

On the left side he has steamed veggie, and his faithful pack of baby carrots. Again I sprinkled red bell pepper and cucumber bits over the veggies and chicken to make it look "happier".


It was one of those morning when I "don't wanna" and still it turned out pretty nice. Everything is either pre-cooked (like the roasted chicken from Raly's, or the steamed lentils from Trader Joes), canned (chickpeas) or quickly steamed in my handy microwave steamer (veggies). Isn't that a hoot? Talk about speed cooking!

I eat my bento fare cold, my husband warms it up, and it works both ways. It works for us!

Happy bento!

No comments:

Post a Comment