Monday, March 17, 2008

Long day and a party!

Yesterday, Sunday, I was working my regular meeting in the morning and after that we had a staff meeting all afternoon. I weigh-in on Sundays so usually I don't eat breakfast, but I bring my coffee and a fruit to keep me until lunch. Or I'll bring a breakfast bento.

Yesterday I realized at the last second that I needed lunch! I threw together left overs and legumes I had on hand.

In one tier, I have couscous mixed with the tomato-less salsa I bought at Trader Joes. It's made with corn and it pretty spicy. Very good mixed with grains. I had a few pepper butterflies left so I put them on. Can't waste art!

In the other tier I have a mix of whatever I had in the fridge: carrots, lentils, chickpeas and Canadian bacon. It was great because it really stayed with me. I had a few cuties during the afternoon and that was plenty of enough for me.

Now today is St-Patrick! Let me say right off that I'm absolutely not Irish, neither is my husband. Who cares, a party is a party right?

Here's my very first "St-Patrick bento":


In the top tier (left) I have hard boiled eggs that I shaped with my little egg molds and colored with food coloring*. I think you can click on the picture to see it full size. I need to figure out a better way to peel hot eggs, but otherwise it was fun! With that I have the rest of my couscous/corn salsa mix.

In the lower tier (right) I have cucumber, carrot, and green pepper skewers. I got those little St-Pat skewers at a craft store, aren't they just cute? I also got those paper cup the eggs are in at the same place. I added a sauce bottle (with the red cap) with balsamic dressing to give taste to my veggies. The skewers are resting on a leaf of lettuce because it needed more green! hehehe

*To color the eggs: Cook, peel and put in molds as usual. Let sit for 10 minutes in cold water. Remove from molds and put in a bowl (glass doesn't stain!) with water and oh.. 20 drops of food coloring or so, depending on how dark you want the color. I let mine sit for 10 minutes. I removed from the colored water and "sponged" with a paper towel. Et Voila!

I even kept a skewer to decorate my box once closed:

My husband has the same foods, I added a little pack of baby carrots for snack. He also has a little sauce bottle (blue cap) but his has Italian dressing.



So there, have a great St-Patrick day everybody, if you're Irish... celebrate safely... ;op

Happy Bento everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment