Saturday, April 19, 2008

So many things!

Whew! Lots to talk about today!

First I want to catch up with myself, with all the home painting-renovating-cleaning-reorganizing, I haven't had time for much bento-ing. I did make myself a bento Friday though, so here it is:

In the top tier, I have left over roasted chicken cooked with lentils, chickpeas, in a Dijon mustard-broth mix. With that I have steamed vegetables.

In the lower tier I have herbed couscous with cut strawberries for dessert. I added a few flowers here and there to make if cure, though I think the foods themselves were pretty custy!

Ok, now that I'm all caught up, I went bento shopping today again. I know, I know, the last thing I need is more stuff, but we needed to get out of here, and well... I couldn't resist!

First we went to Daiso in Daly City. Here's the stuff I got there:

That's most of it up here, with the mini Ice-packs bags and everything.

Yeah, I got 2 new boxes. It different version of my favorite yellow one. I got the boxes, the chopstick cases and the forks that match. To be fair, I was agonizing over which one to choose, and my husband decided he wanted one. So there, the red is mine, and the blue is his!

These are little mustard containers with a little spoon to spread it and everything! I think it's perfect for my hummus!

My round Onigiri molds. I tried to make round Onigiri by hand, I do not have the dexterity for it. So there, there's nothing wrong with cheating a little!

On my way out of the store, I came across those cute little "bento cloth". They didn't have a red one, but I bought those two. That way my yellow box and my blue one have a matching cloth. I'm going way beyond sanity I think, but hey, I got all this stuff I've shown so far for $20!


Then we went to Japantown and it was CROWDED! We first went to Sanko, but it was crowded and the bento section was taken over by two very rude Chinese ladies who were NOT going to let ANYBODY close to the bento stuff. I gave up, the staff were overwhelmed so I thought it wasn't worth getting in troubles for.

So we left and went to my favorite spot, Ichiban Kan!

They hardly had ANYTHING. Not even the usual cheapos bentos they always have. I did find the one tier bento I wanted (for breakfast and snacks), and some cool silicon cups, but that's about it. Here's the whole thing:

The little pink round containers and the blue ones, are actually cosmetic containers. They have a little "spreader" that came with each pack of 3. I'm intending to use them as spread containers. Like I don't have enough already... but they were cute!

When I came home, I started thinking that my silicon cups I had wouldn't work for the new bentos. I always used them for my husband's box, but now he'll be using one like mine. Now what?

The other issue is that I use a lot of paper cups and I don't like that much. It's wasting paper, and I don't want to keep doing that. My silicon cups are too high for my little Sheep Lube bentos. So I cut them!

I shorten most of them, and with some of the excess I made dividers!


No more waste! It was a long successful day. I'm getting back into bento-ing tomorrow. Time to stop messing around and get myself back on track. Enough is enough!

Happy Bento everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment